Death where is your Sting.

In the past couple of months I have been fronted with the same question. Do I really believe in Christ death has no sting? Not saying it doesn't hurt but there is peace and victory in death.

I have had the privilege of being reunited with an old boss after about 15 years of not seeing her to seeing her quite a bit. Funny how connections work. My sweet boss whom I had lost total contact with ended up being friends with people I knew. The last time I saw her, I will never forget. She remembered me we talked a little bit but she was "off" then a few short months later I was sitting in a pew celebrating her life and the fight she had with Cancer.

Two weeks ago I was at church and I got the text my brother-in-law had a heart attack and passed.

While sitting waiting for Fireworks to begin I look to Facebook only to see my friends daughter, after many hard years, the battle against Cancer was over.

 If  death has lost it's sting then these battles are Victories! Do I see it that way? As a victory? In Christ they are. What about those left behind? It hurts! The ones that have had victory are missed. There is a whole no one else can fill. 
Why is it that one family has to deal with so much? So many trials, heartache, or pain? And then other families can go all their life and not feel the pain of Cancer or the loss of a loved one? I don't understand. I know God does all things for His glory, for His purpose. It is times like these that I wonder what God's plans are.

While at the funeral this weekend for the brave 19 yr old girl, I was reminded of her favorite verse. Which happens to be a verse my hubby has given to me many a times.

Proverbs 31:25  (NASB)
 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
And she smiles at the future.

I believe other translations say "she laughs without fear of the future". I am brought to tears by that truth. In Christ there should not be fear of death. Yet so many times I am fearful of so much and yes even dying. Why? because I wonder what my family would do without me. I worry about how they would respond to me passing on. I want to have faith this strong that my strength is found in Christ and I have no fear of the future.

I have seen death around me and see the peace and victory it is in Christ. I know also the hurt that is with those left behind. This hurt breaks my heart! This hurt I want to take away. I want to be able to comfort those left behind.

As I think through those in my life recently that are fighting the battle of Cancer I see more now how Cancer Sucks! I see from a thousand foot look how hard this fight is. I am thankful the people in my life recently have fought this fight with Christ on their side. One I believe has earthly beaten Cancer, two have not, and one is fighting daily. They all have surrendered their lives to Christ and that is beautiful. I do not believe the fight is any easier for their bodies because of Christ but it is a testimony of their faith that makes it!

I want to walk away from this time with more of a love of Christ than anything and learn from those who have fought and fought hard to Love Mercy, Live each day to the fullest and hold fast to the Love of Christ my Savior.

Life is not easy and we all have our battles and when Christ is on our side nothing stands against us!
I was encouraged by these verses and I hope you are too.

Psalm 100

 Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth!
   Worship the Lord with gladness.
    Come before him, singing with joy.
 Acknowledge that the Lord is God!
    He made us, and we are his.
    We are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
    go into his courts with praise.
    Give thanks to him and praise his name.
 For the Lord is good.
    His unfailing love continues forever,
    and his faithfulness continues to each generation.


The Lord, the Psalmist’s Shepherd.

 The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
 He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Philippians 1:20-21
 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Comments

Popular Posts